It is the process of letting individual explore the issues of the environment, employ them in problem solving, and take strict actions in improving the environment. It allows them to have a more extensive understanding of the issues related to the environment. They also have the skills and talent to make rational and informed decision. It can empower them and others to act aggregately and individually with their experience, abilities and passion to care for the present and hereafter environmental problems. It is the subject of interaction and relation between human and natural system.
What are the elements of environmental education?
Various parts are connected to environmental education.
- Learning and knowledge
It allows individual to learn and understand nature and also gain knowledge on difficulties in the environment that is changing the world negatively.
- Mindfulness and awareness
It includes awareness about nature and its problems and being mindful regarding the challenges you might face being in the corporate division.
Having skills that are required to recognize and resolve environmental issues in a realistic way that equals with present technology and trends is crucial.
- Encouragement of green facilities
An individual should promote the go green initiative and proffer the needed foundation that could help in the development of various environmental aspects. A person must practice self-sustainability like sustainable schools or a self-sustaining kitchen and encourage others to do it for building a better environmental association.
An individual must have an attitude of sympathy and empathy towards nature. They should care for the environment and motivate others to do the same by maintaining and improving environmental quality.
People must participate in projects and activities that alleviate environmental difficulties that resolve environmental challenges.
What does environmental education focus on
It focuses on –
- Engagement with people of all demographics
- Critical, ethical and creative thinking while evaluating the environmental concern
- Making literate decisions about those issues
- Developing commitment and skills to act collectively and individually to enhance and sustain the environment
- Appreciating an environment for enhancement that might result in positive behavioural change for the environment
Benefits of environmental education
- It unmasks enthusiasm and imagination through interactive learning.
- Learning about environmental problems is not confined to the four walls of the classroom. It can be studied in the real world by making real connections.
- Creative thinking and critical skills are heightened which allows individuals to investigate, research on these issues and conclude with their decision.
- They generate understanding and tolerance of contradictory views and diverse cultures.
- By addressing the environmental issues, individuals contribute to a healthy and better lifestyle.
- It empowers individuals and encourages them to take responsible actions towards the betterment of the environment.
Environmental education empowers an organization, individual and community to improve their skills of decision making by considering all side of the problems and not sticking to just one viewpoint but accepting diverse perceptions.